Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Travelling.

Travelling is something I have recently developed a great liking for. I mean not travelling to exclusive and exotic locations and spending time and money and taking pictures and ... no, no, no, not that. I mean just, travelling. Getting on a train and reaching your destination, taking a flight and landing on time (or not), bus, taxi, rickshaw; you name it.

Travelling is enjoyable most of the time. Sometimes it can get a little boring but always it gives us the chance to observe people from all around and note their particular way of being uniquely them. Everyone has a different perception and preference for a particular mode of transport. Mine is Railways. There are a lot of reasons for that.

1. Comfortable
We all know. Railways are WAY more comfortable than those seats in the airplane. In railways you can stretch your legs a little and move your arms and legs.
In the plane the best you can do is twist your neck a little and pray that the guy on the other side of you doesn't sneeze on you.

2. Food

Okay. The food on the train isn't great. But at least you have more choice eating on the place around. And I somehow prefer the railway grub to the pretentious little plate, that they serve you on the plane which sits snugly into the plastic grooves, smiles shamelessly at you and says " ...calories, Watson, calories... ".



3. Aggravated Snobbishness
Well I have always found people on the train to be more humane and helpful than the people on the flight. People on the flight are all so... we are elite... we travel on a 10k ticket... we are sitting on 19B... oh yes baby... oh yaaa... the pretty air hostess smiled at me when I came in... Ima gonna buy a 150 bucks sandwich... ooh this is the life.

It's okay, dude. Chill. I am at 19A myself.


Enough of lists. The basic fact is the people on the railways adjust better and are more humane. Just because you pay a few bucks more for a ticket which takes you less time, does not give you a slick snob license. Journey by railway is safer from a purely gravitational point of view. It's closer to the ground. People are nicer. what more does one want?

The thing is I am in love with Travelling. Which is a sort of a demoralized excuse for those so-called "adventure seekers" of whom I say I belong to. So be it.
           

No comments: